Carbon-Monoxide-detectorsCarbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly less dense than air. It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal air poisoning in many countries. 

Carbon Monoxide is Dangerous!

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may resemble other types of poisonings and infections, including symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, and a feeling of weakness. Affected families often believe they are victims of food poisoning. Infants may be irritable and feed poorly. Neurological signs include confusion, disorientation, visual disturbance, syncope and seizures. (Wikipedia)

You should always test your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors quarterly . Your detectors should have a “test” button. If the alarm sounds, you’re good to go. If not, replace batteries immediately and test again. If it still doesn’t sound, it’s possible you need a new detector. If you are unsure ask a professional for help.

Picture courtesy of Microsoft